I haven’t done much sewing for a couple of years now. The few things I’ve tried, garments that is, haven’t fitted well so they’ve ended up being a wadder (as in, wadded up and thrown out). However earlier this year I purchased a couple of the templates for drafting patterns from Sure-Fit Designs. I originally purchased the drafting set in order to replace a top that I had bought. When we were in Sydney last year, I purchased a rich red cotton tunic, made in Vietnam, in the Vietnamese style. It was gorgeous! I wore it on Christmas day and had heaps of compliments on it. Then I washed it…. in cold water… and it shrunk to unwearable size, plus all the seams began pulling apart. And it faded abominably. One wear and one wash.
So I purchased the Shirt, Pants and Dress kits from Sure-Fit – and left them sitting in the cupboard. Fast forward six months. Dian and I were in Addicted to Fabric and saw a display skirt they had there, for a kids sewing class. It was in a heavy cotton fabric, with a pom-pom trim, and was a simple rectangle gathered with elastic at the waist. So we bought the fabric and trim, and they also sat there for months. Finally I pulled out the drafting tools, made the skirt pattern and…. left them sitting there for months! I’m seeing a pattern here….
Finally I sat down and made it. In only a couple of hours. It’s an A-Line skirt, as Dian wanted a more grown up and tailored look than the display one. It fits well, and has room to grow, and Dian loves it. Just as she pictured it. Full skirt shown, and then the back view which is pretty much identical to the front except for the zipper.
Today I found my sewing mojo. It’s been awol. I’ve learnt how to do an FBA (Full Bust Adjustment) on garments so they fit. I’ve been inspired by reading other people’s sewing blogs. We re-opened Down Under Dolls Clothes and need more patterns. Bring on the sewing!